Monday, January 11, 2010

Chance Encounters - Linda Wells


In ane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Fitzwilliam Darcy arrives at Netherfield in a state of indignation and delivers an insult that nearly ended his future before it began. What if he did not go to Meryton that autumn and instead met Elizabeth Bennet later in London during the winter? What if their introduction was not an insult, but rather a challenge to smile, and how does the strength of an extraordinary couple help them to survive all that life sends their way?
This is another book that I read a lot of reviews on while I was waiting to decide if and when I would buy it. I was a little worried based on a lot of reviews of this book, but I loved it. I loved the story, I loved Darcy and Lizzy, I loved all the other characters.
I did not like how Jane and Bingley were portrayed, but I did have to admit having Caroline end as she did was good. No serious machinations were put into play by the usual characters so it was refreshing. Mr. Bennet was another best entirely and I have to admit that it was interesting to see him rather than Lady Catherine as the antagonist to the lovers. I enjoyed the additions of new characters as well.
Personally I loved this book. It was advertised as a "mature love story" and it was tastefully done, there were no overtly graphic descriptions, infact details were only mildly discussed, and all in all what was discussed humanized them.
Of anything that I would dislike in the book would be Darcy crying. Not because I deem it as weak, but because I lean towards not crying if I unless I can absolutely help it, I tend to be a little less than sensitive to those who do...so we will leave this opinion to my current state of mind not a general slight on those who cry, even dark brooding heroes from books. :D
I thoroughly enjoyed the book and look forward to the purchase of the next offerings by Linda Wells. Definate recommendation for those open minded Austen fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment